<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, February 18, 2004


On Phantom Toll-Booths 


You know those dreams where you're at work and suddenly realize you forgot to put on pants this morning -- the Worst-Possible-Scenario dream? Well, transpose that over to taking the tollway to work and you've got my commute this morning. Running late, as usual, I took the Sam Houston Tollway to speed things up. The toll is $1.25 when you exit from I-10 and I don't have an "E-Z Tag" yet because I don't take the tollway all the time. So I buzz up to the robot toll booth and toss in my handful of dimes and quarters... Nothing. Please deposit $1.25, the display says. The gate is immobile and cars are lining up behind my minivan.

Arms are are flailing in disgust at my stupidity in the long line of anxious autos as I go through my ashtray for more change. No pennies allowed. Do I have enough? What do you do when you get stuck like this, anyway? There's no panic button. At least I hit the receipt switch so I have proof my first $1.25 was truly paid.

Finally, just as I have the required amount -- mostly in nickels -- and a second payment is leaving my palm for the toll receptacle, the guy in the white SUV yells that the gate has opened! The machine devours my change again, acknowledges it this time, and I speed away as fast as I can so I don't have to look any of my fellow commuters in the eye. The rest of the way to work I wonder: "Was this some sort of Texas scam to make me double my toll? Do they randomly refuse to open the gates on toll roads all over the state just to collect a little extra money?"

But I'll be back tomorrow.


conditions
Click for Houston, Texas Forecast

Conglomeration, Texas

reading
I'm usually reading three books at once: two serious, one loopy. The latest group consists of...



First Man




BodyWorlds: The Anatomical Exhibition of Real Human Bodies




UFO's and Popular Culture



Site Feed
Subscribe
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Copyright © 2004 - 2006 by P E Cartwright
Made with 1st Page 2000 - Professional tools for real minds.